The arrival of autumn is amazing for those of us who love to live in jeans and cosy jumpers and stay this way until spring rolls around, but this is not truly practical! What about everyday living? What about your working wardrobe?
Having to think about layering, to keep warm while still looking stylish and the need for more items to put great outfits together can feel like a complete chore, and while chunky knits are great for long walks through the fallen leaves at the weekend, these do not suit the office environment or the wardrobe of the city slicker!
For many, the sense of ease felt in the summer, when you can throw on a light dress or skirt and top combo and look great with minimal effort, is replaced by a certain heaviness when autumn arrives.
The weather can change so dramatically in the space of just a few days taking us from summer dresses & sandals to needing thick tights seemingly overnight. And when you are looking in your wardrobe there seems to be very little that will work for you right now.
This sense of heaviness can suck all the joy out of your style.
Alfred Wainwright once said: “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing!”
Living where we do, the seasons do change, and it has come that time to put away the espadrille wedges and make the transition to a warmer wardrobe and the associated accessories. To help you look fabulous in your new season style, here are a few of my Autumn/Winter essentials ideas to keep you toasty:
- Scarves – my favourite autumn wardrobe item. Wearing a stylish scarf is a great way to express your personality and make it so easy to style your outfit!
- Tailored trousers – keep the styling slick for the new season
- Boots – high-heeled boots, over-the-knee boots, ankle boots, combat boots, ankle boots, motorcycle boots, rain boots… Boots are so versatile and can be dressed up and dressed down to suit any occasion
- Tights – there are so many colour and pattern options out there now beyond black; opt for a muted tone that matches the colour of your outfit or softer neutrals such as navy or grey, these can a certain detail to your outfit
- Belts – have fun with them! You can put belts on jackets, blazers and coats as well as clinching your dress in at the waist. They are such an easy accessory to update your look with
- Hats – one piece that will instantly help you be visible and stand out for all the right reasons.
And here at Spirit & Grace, I can help you out with some of those all-important accessories, whether it is a purse, a bracelet, a pair of earrings or a simple scarf! Take inspiration from the autumn’s changing colour palette!
And here are a few ideas straight from the catwalks:
- Animal Print – A/W 2018-2019 is really, really wild for animal print. The catwalks were covered in print, from leopard to ocelot, zebra to tiger, even wild stripes exuding power and independence!
- Wraps & Capes – it can be the elegant update on the puffer your wardrobe never knew it needed.
Whilst we are on the subject of catwalks, I don’t know if you ever noticed, but the fashion industry tends to put a lot more effort into its autumn/winter collections. The fabrics are more luxurious, and the cuts tend to be more elegant. Summer fashion feels trendy and transitional, while autumn is an opportunity to put on your timeless pieces, such as a classic cashmere coat, a tailored shirt and pencil skirt or a well-cut pair of trousers and feel like an elegant woman worthy of luxury.
Autumnal hues that evoke the feeling of leaves on the forest floor, rich plumage and twilight reveal a modern autumn palette of deep and rich tones with outbursts of colourful surprise.
The ‘Top 10 Colour Palette’ for A/W 2018-2019 features a bold palette of autumnal hues complemented by some more unexpected shades.
I hope this has helped even just a little! Don’t become disillusioned and have a little fun and enjoy your wardrobe.
Do you look in your wardrobe with a sense of dread or do you embrace what the change of season brings with it? How do you adapt to the new season autumn/winter style and do you get excited about it?
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter for a 10% discount on your first order!